Brussels Sprouts have never been my favorite...I think it had something to do with them always being served boiled and smothered in butter, which wouldn't be a problem, except that they look like little cabbages. Not happening.
As I grew up and admitted that my taste buds could maybe change, I did discover that there are a few other options for cooking such unfortunate veggies. One being roasting, but I'll get into that at a later point, but this weekend I found a short little blurb of a recipe in a magazine that just about blew my mind.
So, you'll just need:
Pancetta, or bacon.
Shallots, or onion.
Thyme
Lemon juice
Brussels Sprouts
Trim the sprouts and cut in half. Boil the sprouts until only just tender.
Chop the pancetta and fry until just cooked. Add the shallots and continue frying until the shallots are soft. Add the sprouts and fry it all together. Add a bit of thyme and a squeeze of lemon juice, toss, and fry until the sprouts are nice and tender and have a little bit of brown on the edges.
Throw the lot into a bowl, sprinkle on some kosher salt, and you're set! Or, put it in ramekins for individual servings.
I bet you could do this with many different vegetables, Beck. I actually didn't mind them and I'm not a fan of sprouts.
ReplyDelete